Wednesday 13 May 2009

Team Butter Fingers

Oh the embarrasment!

Last Sunday, I did the excellent "Follow the Arrow" series of caches between Coughton and Alcester, which I really enjoyed. However, the fist cache I visited, well, here's my log entry...

2912. What a start to a morning's caching. Found the cache easily enough but as I went to retriev it, it fell from my (butter) fingers and hit the ground - bounced and disappeared from view accompanied by a splash!

I crossed over and followed the path down to the river to see the cache bobbing past. I followed it downstream and was going to head it off at the wier but luckily, it got stuck in some tree roots and I was able to rescue it.

On the good side, I can confirm that the container is waterproof.

I signed the log and very carefully put it back.

Thanks for the cache and the riverside walk!

... which was bad enough; although I did manage to rescue that one. A while back, some may recall, I dropped half a magnetic nano in my van and it was never seen again (the nano not my trusty stead.)

Today, in deepest Earlsdon, I was fumbling around for another magnetic cache - a key box this time (does anyone know a cheap source for these?) when I...

reached in, felt the cache, then felt it fall ! And of all the places where it could have fallen, it landed in the one place which is inaccessable. I'm really sorry.

What am I to do? I'm tryng to avoid ICTs as it is. If I add magnetic caches to my "don't touch these caches with a barge-pole" list I'm going to severly limit my choices. Perhaps, I could add a small net to my caching kit and position it under any magnetic caches I find. Maybe an elaborate electro-magnet affair so that I could suspend the cache in mid air (it would have to have that buzzing werr-werr sound.) Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Now how do I apply a GSAK filter for caches that are already at ground level?

No comments: