Thursday 18 September 2008

A bucket of Fun / Free Maps

On our way back from work in Bedford, today, The Strangler and I stopped off in our lunch break to do a cache near Towcester (Where's Roger). I'd picked up a large TB and needed a large cache to put it in; this one fitted the bill.

However, on reaching the cache we found the large container full of water. This was a shame as the cache contained a lot of good stuff including a computer mouse, a CD-ROM drive, Video tapes etc. etc. all of which were ruined. Dave and I dried the bucket as best as we could but most of the stuff we had to CITO.

An interesting website, which I came across, tonight, is Open Street Map. To quote the project, "OpenStreetMap creates and provides free geographic data such as street maps to anyone who wants them. The project was started because most maps you think of as free actually have legal or technical restrictions on their use, holding back people from using them in creative, productive, or unexpected ways."

The project relies on Joe Public going out with a GPS and collecting data which can be uploaded to the site and used to edit the world-wide map. I downloaded the UK section and stuck it on my Oregon. Some areas that haven't yet been mapped are, obviously, blank but some areas are more detailed than the £150 Garmin topo-maps. Generally there is a lot more footpath detail and a lot of pubs! I'll need to look into this project and upload some local data (my street isn't on there - YET!)

On the Brummie Cut series, I need to get out before the weekend and replace YELLOW - possibly with a magnetic. I'm also planning on doing some of those busy busy caches on Sunday. I've also got another London excursion planned for October.

No comments: