Friday 12 September 2008

Oregon - in the mode

I'm still finding my way around the Oregon. I've been getting a bit frustrated especially when the compass needle refuses to point anywhere but straight up. I've tried changing all sorts of setings but still the same. Then in a flash of inspiration I went to the Profiles page and selected GEOCACHING. (I had previously just customised the recreation profile). The needle behaved properly - nice.

After my evening's caching around Sutton I selected home and asked the unit to plot a course. It calculated a route STRAIGHT home, totally ignoring the roads. I then switched to the AUTOMOTIVE profile and I got a proper road-based route on a 3D road map. I tried the compass and the old straight ahead pointer was back.

So, tonight, I've discovered what the profile page does and the unit is back on my good gear list.

Back home, I plugged the Garmin into the PC and went to GC.com. I chose Access My Field Notes and uploaded my list of found caches to GC.com. I was then able to select each in turn and was taken to the logging page with the notes taken on the trail automatically entered. It makes logging post-caching a lot easier than before my lovely wife bought my new toy.


We're off to Preston on Sunday so, hopefully, we'll grab a few caches en-route. I must get a lead for the Oregon to power it from the car which will keep the backlight on all the time instead of dimming after a few seconds.

No comments: