Saturday 30 August 2008

Vista and GSAK

I splashed out on a new laptop yesterday. Once I'd got it unpacked and running, I set about getting it how I wanted it. Firstly, I removed all the trial software (works, office2007 etc.) Then I started installing some useful stuff. Anti-virus software was first and I opted for the excellent AVG Free. Next, Firefox. Anyone not aquainted with this browser is missing out. Apart from it's many other plusses, the most important for cachers is Greasemonkey. This add-in changes the way that a web page is displayed. Greasemonkey scripts that I use let me see O.S. Maps on the cache page instead of Google Maps; keep a runing total of cache finds so that I can enter the find number with a click of the mouse. Another script displays the gallery pictures much bigger (and better than standard. There are many scripts to help cachers and plenty for other, non-caching, web pages.

Memory Map was next to go on and then GSAK. This excellent program enables you to colate all the info about caches. It takes .gpx files from Geocaching.com and builds up a database which can then be filtered to show, for example, all the traditional caches which haven't been found by you (yet). The filtered results can then be exported in any number of formats, mainly, .gpx to my PDA and .csv to memory map (and then onto the PDA).

I downloaded and the installer suggested I install the files in C:\GSAK. I changed this to C:\Program Files\GSAK (that's where programs go, isn't it?). All went well and I copied my database files over from my old PC. When I came to re-start GSAK, a little later, I got messages about "Program Files" being a special area and that I'd have to run GSAK as administrator every time. This becomes a pain with Vista asking you if you really, really want to run this program. Now I know why thei installer had suggested C:\GSAK. I moved everything over and it runs properly now.
However, I then installed Lordelphs Icons. This is a series of icons for different kinds of caches. There is a little GSAK macro that adds these icons to Memory Map. I didn't work! Eventually, I discovered that the macro expects GSAK to be installed in C:\Program Files\GSAK so I had to change a few lines in the macro so that it would work. I also removed the bit that displays micros with their own icon; I prefer to see what sort of cache (traditional, multi) it is.

Now, after a few hours, and much cursing, I have my Geo-Laptop all honky-dory. I have loaded a load of caches for the Peak District, where Mr. and Mrs. Balders will be spending their second honeymoon, next week.

No comments: