Saturday 5 July 2008

Brummie Cut - missing cache

Curzon Street

I had a cache hidden near Curzon Street, at the bottom of some steps, tucked away under some vegetation. The cache went missing and I replaced it. A day later, I went out to check all the caches in the Brummie Cut series and couldn't find this one cache. I looked a couple of times but just couldn't see it.

I took the step of archiving the cache and placed a new cache about 100m away.

AJIGEO managed to find the missing (and now archived) cache today about 1m from where it should have been. Oh well, too late now!

I wish that finders would, before picking up the cache, take a good look at where the cache is and how it is placed. Then when they have signed the log etc. they should be able to replace it as the owner intended. I was about to replace another of my (micro) caches yesterday before I spotted it in the wrong place! That's today's moan over with.

4 comments:

Stokesy said...

As it was put back in the wrong place, can I log a find???

Bet the owner of the coin is happy!

Team Balders said...

Not too sure about logging it but you raise a point about the coin.

As the cache was replaced where AJIGeo found it, I'd better go out and retrieve it (well not now, it's chucking it down). I'm working in Brum tomorrow morning so I'll grab it then - if I can find it.

snerdbe said...

Surely it's the replacement cache that you placed and couldn't find on Friday that's still there and not the original one with the coin that we left, although it would be nice if whoever took it put it back.

I did write and inform the coin owner of his loss, apparently he's lost a couple now:-(

Butttercup said...

I have had a few dnf's of my own recently, but I have also had a number of dnf's on my owne caches - those ae the real annoying ones - "On ya bike" finally resurfaced about 20ft? from where I had placed it - from personal caching experience I reckon that if a kiddy finds the cache, they are excited, the party log the find etc and then when they are asked "where did you find it then?" they do not remember!

I have also had an interesting case with Pachyderm Passage where 2 finders reported finding it, but not where the clue suggested that it would be... when I e-mailed them to ask "well, where was it then so I can alter the clue" I get no response, then the next finder report that they found it just where the clue led them to... and there is always the ongoing mystery of one of cackemaker's caches that disappeared, she replaced it, and now there are 2 caches on top of each other whrere loggers report that they are signing both books - ha ha ha

... oh yes, and there was "Birmingham 9" where someone did not take the clue, found the item the cache name refers to it, but seemingly did not look behind it for the cache?!

It's great stuff..

Butttercup